Sunday, June 2, 2013

Our First Days and the Boma Fellowship


Take a few minutes to read about our first few days here in Africa.

Lori -  Our time here in Africa has been absolutely amazing! The travel was a little rough but we have been able to rest now and are able to fully engage the experience. The family that we are staying with is incredibly sweet. They have really welcomed us into their home and made us feel accepted. I do not think that we could have asked for better hosts; they have been incredibly loving and been such a blessing! The fellowship that we had with the nationals this morning was overwhelming in the best way possible. Just like our host family, the nationals have been extremely welcoming and such a blessing to meet. I cannot wait to be fully immersed in the culture and meet and engage more people! Oh, and I caught a chicken!

Kane -  We are finally here! After 29 hours of flying and layovers, along with 13 hours in the car, we are in Isoka! Our time here in Africa has been just awesome. Blake and his family have opened their homes and hearts to us, and we all have fallen in love with them. We had our first encounter with the natives today, and it is truly amazing how the Father’s hand is upon the lives of these people. The nationals have treated us just as if we were a part of their family, and it is amazing how much life they have in them. We leave tomorrow for the Chilanga village where we will then hike to the Tuta village. I am so pumped to see what is in store for us!! :)

Kyle -  I don’t really know where to start. When I left Wichita, I was a family of one. However, it quickly grew to 8 in Dallas, and it again increased when we got to Isoka making my family 14 members. I did not know what to expect of Africa or even the people and culture, but whatever expectations I could have set, Africa has exceeded them. The Nationals are a very happy people. I have seen some of the most beautiful smiles since being here. Today I led our group in singing at our fellowship with the nationals. We sang I Saw The Light...it went ok...but not as well as the nationals when they sang. Fellowship here is truly amazing! I can’t wait to see how the Father works in the days to come as we begin working!

Bethany -  As the plane left Oklahoma City on a beautiful Tuesday afternoon, I was nervous but excited for the next step of an adventure that began several months ago.  Sitting by the window, I watched the earth fall away as the plane ascended, and I broke into a smile. The moment I had been waiting for had finally arrived.  Nearly 29 hours later, I watched as our plane touched down on the runway of the country I have rarely stopped thinking about since the beginning of this journey with the same smile.  Again, the smile appeared as I met the family we are staying with as their kids showed us around the house and gave us huge hugs as if we had known them for years.  Today, I smiled with uncontainable joy as I listened to the Nationals sang beautiful harmony to the father.  Watching the plan of the father unfold as we begin the work that we have been preparing for has been a completely joyful experience, and I am more than excited to see what happens as we continue! 

Tim -  Day one that has not involved any traveling. It’s good to be back. I’ve missed our friends...and I did not realize how much until I saw everyone’s faces. The kids have grown so much. The way they love on me and even the new members makes June 2012 feel like yesterday. Blake has already encouraged me personally on so many levels, and I am looking forward to him challenging me even more, especially with the Word.  It was so great to greet our brothers and sisters from last year at the Boma. They welcomed me with a cultural embrace (which took me by surprise at first) and then proceeded to make the rest of our team feel very comfortable.  The discussion of a passage was in another language, but by following along - using key names as a compass... and asking for a few translations - I was intrigued with how in-depth they went with the passage and how many people contributed to the conversation.  It was beautiful (as if a word can actually capture an accurate description) to hear them sing songs with passion, joy, and a pure love for the Father. I couldn’t help but think, “This is how it should sound all over the world all the time!”  Our team is doing very well and is excited to go out to other villages!  I cannot wait to see all that the Father has prepared and hope that I may be of even a small portion of use in His grand plan.  It’ll be hard to return to the states. This home away from home is very captivating. 

Molly -  Every aspect of today was full of so much joy. We started the day off helping Dawnya make breakfast. I helped make bacon, Lori made scrambled eggs, and Dawnya made the fluffiest, most delicious pancakes I’ve ever tasted. After breakfast, we  studied the Word together.  The passage we studied was a huge encouragement that we all must rely on each other to further the Kingdom, especially as we prepare to go out to the villages tomorrow. My favorite part of today was attending service at the Boma fellowship. The people were extremely welcoming and full of joy. There is no possible way for me to fully describe how beautiful the people worship or how powerful the sermon was spoken, even though we didn’t fully understand the language. The rest of the day was spent at the house playing with the kids and cooking with Dawnya. Altogether, this was a really great day of growing closer to the family and closer to the team. 

Jenna -  Our first days here have been incredible. The family we are with is amazing, and I have had such a blast getting to know them and their children. It feels like we are family, and I’ve only known them for a few days. We went to the Boma fellowship today, and the people were so encouraging and kind. It is amazing how a simple greeting can change a reaction from hard to showing the most beautiful smiles I’ve ever seen. The people are so genuine and loving, and I cannot wait to get to know them more deeply as we spend more time here. The passion they express is inspiring, and I know I will learn so much from them. We are traveling to a new village tomorrow, and I cannot wait to see how we will be used to bring glory to His kingdom as we meet new people and invest in their lives. I can already see that my life is being changed by these people even in the short time we have been here, and I’m so excited to see what’s to come. 

Dayla -  It is a joy to be back here--to be greeted in a hug by familiar faces.  The first few days have been physically taxing due to travel and jet-lag, but it is good to finally be adjusted to the time difference.  The team is loving Africa and seems excited to begin working!  Tomorrow we will head out to camp in a neighboring village.  This village has seen many come to the Father in recent days.  As we work there and in several other villages, please lift us up and ask for protection against Spiritual Warfare.  

Thank you for your intercession on our behalf!  We will try to update again when we get back from camping on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment